entry :00001

I don't know, I guess it just kinda...happened. I stood above a man with a ski mask slightly peeled off his face. His head rocked side to side as he moaned. Had he had an accident? How did I get here? A lady stands maybe four feet away. The color withdrawn from her shocked face; she looks bewildered, trembling; clutching her handbag like it were a life preserver. Victoria bursts out of the convenience store where we work; it's 1:25 in the morning. Assessing the scene, and trying to process what she just saw. Usually the picture of causal indifference, even she looked unnerved. Her hazel eyes seemed to look into me, as if she saw me for the first time. "R...r.rrun", she says, "Run Rox! Go! I'll take care of this, you gotta...you gotta go, now! GO!"
Now, I am not what you might consider the 'athletic' type. Being about 5'5", I'm no Olympic sprinter. But tonight, something is...different. I round the corner of 8th and Lennox without feeling winded. In fact, I feel energized, exuberant even. I feel like I can hear everything in digital stereo sound, even the stir of the ocean which is some 3 1/2 miles away. The night air seems to slide by me like a smooth, indigo colored silk. I run until I choose to run no more, and I finally make my way back to my apartment, just as the sun peeks an eye over the horizon. I unlock the door, suddenly feeling extremely lethargic and slow. The last thing I remember is the sensation of gravity pulling my head down, and the air swooshing past my ears, just before I hit the pillow.

Comments

Popular Posts